Event Director’s Report
December 3 dawned with a glorious sunrise, followed by a great orienteering day. We had 135 starts in the event, 77 of them JROTC cadets from NY, NY, and CT. Those travelling the farthest came from Buffalo! Dave Webber set two champs courses for the JROTC competition and white through red for all others. The staff of Mountain Lakes County Park went out of their way to be helpful and supportive and we really appreciate that. Volunteers were fantastic. Geof Connor and Craig Weber, with help from Peter Zakrevski, prepared and ran all the electronic punching and computer results and helped hang controls and pick them up. Daniel Schaublin, Bill Shannon, and Jim Mertz were in charge of the starts. Bob Bullions and Paul Bissett helped with the parking. Guy Olsen and Paul Bennett met the busses and helped them get organized and parked. George Hawes and Jeff Osborn gave beginner instruction. Kseniya Popova, Nadya Popova, and Judy Dickinson filled in as needed. Annette Borowitz, Bill Borowitz, and Cath Connor did a great job on the registration table. We couldn’t have had such a great day without all that help! Kudos also to LTC Mike Beckstrom, who was the point person for the schools that participated. We ended up with 11 high school JROTC units, one of the largest groups we’ve had in the 16+ years we have held this event. Two other schools wanted to come but ran into bussing problems.
Congratulations to James O’Neill HS JROTC for winning their 10th overall championship! Brewster and WNY Maritime from Buffalo were second and third, with Washingtonville taking 4th for an honorable mention. And thanks to all cadets who did an excellent clean up of the area before leaving for the day. It was much appreciated.
Betsy Hawes, Event Director
Courses offered will be White through Red with separate W and Y for the JROTC competitors.
|White||9||1.5 km||30 m|
|Yellow||12||2.4 km||90 m|
|Orange||10||3.5 km||100 m|
|Brown||11||3.5 km||125 m|
|Green||13||4.9 km||180 m|
|RED||17||6.7 km||290 m|
Instructions for JROTC Groups 2016
- All JROTC groups must pre-register through Mike Beckstrom, jrotc121513 at hffmcsd dot org. He will send you information specific to the JROTC competition. Download and sign permission form for Junior members of groups. This is needed before your Thanksgiving break.
- The volunteer meeting your bus will give you a form for listing all participants and their age that is required for our insurance.I’m going to attach a copy to this letter in case it is easier for you to do this in advance. (You could then adjust the list on Saturday according to who is actually there.) You will need this and the parent permission forms.
- The person in charge will be given the electronic punches at registration , labeled for –HS 1, –HS 2 and so on for the comp. courses and –HS A, –HS B, –HS C etc for the non-comp courses according to the information you have provided us.
- I will have apples for all at the finish and a limited amount of water.If you can bring water for your group it would be a big help. There will be a basket for composting the apple cores!
- The bus parking will be about half a mile from the registration area.The cadets will unload themselves and their supplies near the registration then the busses will be directed to their parking area. The drivers are welcome to walk back to the event area on the road or on a marked trail if they wish. You will get a map of the event area on arrival. There will be portable toilets near registration.
- It is expected to be dry and about 45 degrees on Saturday. Hopefully the cadets will dress appropriately to stay warm.
- Please remember the $45 deposit for the e-punches.It will be returned when all the punches are turned in. Also please collect the $5 for each of your teams and take it to registration.
Directions to Event
Go north at junction 35 and 121 in Cross River. Then go 4.5 miles on Rt 121 and then turn right on Hawley Rd. There will be orienteering signs from there to the event site. Address for GPS is 201 Hawley Road, North Salem, NY 10560.
For last-minute questions, please email Betsy Hawes (bnghawes at gmail dot com). I will be at the park on Friday morning and very very early on Saturday.
Anyone bringing groups other than JROTC should contact Betsy Hawes (bnghawes at gmail dot com) so that we can be sure to have enough maps and e-punches.
Control pick up will begin by 3 PM.
We NEED VOLUNTEERS: Members who can give an hour or two to help organize the event will also be able to run their own courses. Volunteers and people with questions should contact bnghawes at gmail dot com